[Ti] iChat v Yahoo! Messenger

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Apr 20 15:27:30 PDT 2005

I have never been able to get iChat to work from here in Saudi
Arabia.  The moment I return to Switzerland and connect via ADSL, it
works perfectly.  I had assumed that it was some nation-wide
configuration restriction here to prevent chatting.

My PC-user-friend stopped by this afternoon, and asked if I had
Yahoo! Messenger, as he wanted to use my dialup to exchange some
messages.  So I quickly downloaded Yahoo! Messnger for OS X, launched
it, and it worked straight away..........

So what could be the explanation for this?
What is it that iChat does so differently to Yahoo! that it does not work?

Does anyone have any idea about the workings of iChat and Yahoo!
Messenger, that could explain this unexpected result?

regards,  Trevor