[Ti] iChat v Yahoo! Messenger

Alan Thompson alan at alanthompson.net
Wed Apr 20 15:34:31 PDT 2005

Perhaps iChat does not "protocol hop" like the Yahoo! IM client does.
It's really difficult to block IM on your network - you can't simply
block outgoing traffic on the popular IM UDP ports - the clients will
try to just use another port, most likely port 80 - which is typically
open for web traffic.  Perhaps iChat will not try to do this, and will
only try to communicated on specific designated ports?  Do you use a
proxy server for anything while you are in Saudi?