[Ti] worst update ever?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Apr 23 02:25:41 PDT 2005

At 20:15 -0400 22/4/05, ~flipper wrote:
>Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>
>>What I am saying is that I always apply the updates as soon as they
>>are out, and I can hardly remember having any problem before.
>
>Hi Trevor,
>
>I, too, am sorry to hear you're having difficulties.
>
>But, you mention (above) applying updates as soon as they come out.... Why?
>
>What's the rush? Let others be the guinea pigs, that's my creed
>regarding Apple's updates.
>
>They once pulled a minor update for iTunes that had a typo in the
>shell script (after an 'rm' with user-provided root escalation, no
>less) that proceeded to wipe home directories.
>
>10.2.8 was pulled in something like 8 hours. (Or was it 4?). There
>are some folks who believe that there isn't 'really' a 10.2.8, that
>it's just a repatched return to 10.2.7, but the OS is schizophrenic,
>and so layered, who would ever really know?
>
>My point is, for a company that prides itself on "It Just Works",
>where the devil do they get the courage to look themselves in the
>face when thousands of folks are having to re-install bits of java,
>and re-done 'old' security 'updates', just to make the flagship
>browser work?
>
>Whatever became of that old chestnut known as 'burn in'? Well, my
>friend, i let the others do the burning in, for me, and when the
>dust settles, and people finish blaming other developers (whose apps
>were working fine one minute...), and Apple issues a 'security'
>patch to fix the boo-boo's, then i decide "Is this worth it, really?"
>
>Anyways, I'm an advocate of letting others 'experiment' with their
>systems... i rely on mine too much to play games of chance.
>Sometimes problems don't surface immediately. I like to wait at
>least a few weeks.
>
>I don't have that 'blind faith' that seems emblematic of the cult of
>personality that has grown up around Jobs and the 'design' team.
>Remember it was Amelio who decided to grab NeXTSTEP and beef up the
>Advanced Computing group, not Jobs.
>
>When you see the juggernaut of Unix powering things (in spite of the
>resource-crazed GUI)...that's Amelio, and the 'real' designers...
>and when you see strawberry pastel-coloured iPods and 3D
>icons...that's Jobs and his crew.
>
>With all the new billions in iPod sales rushing in there's even less
>excuse (if there ever was any at all) to be rushing stuff out the
>door.
>
>My advice: let the 'early adopters' and sycophants be the 'test tubes'.

Thank you so much for your explanations.

I think I have had an almost blind faith in Apple, and this led me to
install updates straight away.
But the operation of my laptop is so critical now, that I think that
is the last time that I will install the update as soon as it is out,
having been burnt a little by 10.3.9.

I will take your advice, and adopt your approach, of lettings others
check it out first.

I am somewhat disappointed that it has come to the point where I
cannot trust Apple enough to get it right first time.

If it is not broke, I won't fix it.

regards,  Trevor