[Ti] How To Move My Acc't to the new Powerbook?

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:31:33 PDT 2005

Alan Thompson wrote:

>apparently there is some new option upon setup that helps with
>xferring whatever you like to the new computer via firewire - but
>it's handled by the setup routine on the new computer.  you don't
>have to (i think) mess around with any configuration on your own.
>
>--alan

Well, I'd like to know where the new option is. I did an erase,
partition, clean install, and not even a hint of any sort of thing
like that came to the surface. I checked out 'Cutomize", and
whatnot...nada.

I did notice, however, that midway through the first disk, despite my
un-selecting every non-English language 'support' that the installer
was busy loading up the simplified chinese and other asian support...
plus ca change...

Monolingual grabbed 162 MB of .lproj jazz, later, so no big deal.

A day after the install I hooked up the new Aluminum (in Target
mode), to the old Ti, and just dragged my apps and support files
over. Using Xfile to copy over 'invisibles' and a bit of other stuff,
and was amazed that things like Office X, and other heavier-duty
suites, loaded right up, no re-authorization at all. (One exception
being Final Draft, which, for some reason bails out right after
opening menus, etc, no great loss, the Ti-Book is still running with
it, anyway).

As for the OS... I don't mind Panther nearly as much as i thought I
would. But the hardware is really cool. Doubling the CPU peed has a
much more dramatic effect than quadrupling the VRAM. Too bad.
Although the 64MB is smoother than the 16MB in the 667, I see that
the visualizer in iTunes is still pretty lame. It was a much higher
frame rate, to my eyes, about three or four 'upgrades' (of iTunes)
ago. Oh well.

I haven't hooked up my LaCie 22" CRT to the Aluminum yet. But even
with spanned desktops, the old Ti-Book supported 1600 x 1200 at
millions of colors at 85hz. Not too shabby. It'll be interesting to
see what's happening with the new one. the 'hz' factor makes a huge
difference in terms of ease on the eyes. I like 85 as a minimum, and
have seen the 128MB cards (in Aluminum books) supporting 105 hz, very
nifty.

brian s