[Ti] PB Fan Noise/Heat

Richard Edwards richard.e at btconnect.com
Wed Aug 3 19:13:36 PDT 2005

Hi Folks
There's a fix for the noise my PB emits much of the day and the heat
that goes with it
at http://www.deleet.de/ray/pbfanfix.html

This tells me
The fix
Downgrade the relevant System Extension. It turned out to be:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleADM103x.kext
This extension handles the temperature readout from certain Analog
Devices Digital Thermometers over the I2C bus.
First, make a backup of the version that is included in 10.3.2.
The old version for the Extension can be found in the standalone
updater 10.2.8. Don't run the updater (or quit if it launches
automatically).
Extract the extension. To extract single files form the Package, get
something like Pacifist or use the shell.
Copy the extension into /System/Library/Extensions.
Make sure that the owner of the extension and everything inside (it's
a package and packages are directories) is root and the group is
wheel. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Otherwise, the system won't load these
extensions, which may have severe consequences. The Finder displays
the owner root as system, so this is ok as well.
Reboot.
Enjoy the Silence. (and put on your asbestos gloves again)
Unquote

It tells me to :

'Make sure that the owner of the extension and everything inside
(it's a package and packages are directories) is root and the group
is wheel.'

I'm not sure how to do that - can anyone here advise ?

biiGGGGG TIA
Richard

--
Richard Edwards <richard at spherestudio.co.uk>