[Ti] Re: Ti 15" screen dropped & bent

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 12:12:50 PDT 2005

Brooke Willis <brookewillis at earthlink.net> asks:
>My friend gave me his Ti 400mhz 15¾ cuz he dropped it a few times and now
>the case is split open in a few places (and duct-taped). It actually works
>just fine, but it¼s a little awkward to open and close (not securely
>attached to the left hinge) and there are now vertical lines in two places
>on the screen. But I¼m still very happy to have gotten it as a gift! (He
>convinced his parents to buy him a new one!)
>
>Anyway, the Apple store here in Cleveland said it would be $1100ã1300 to fix
>the screen; do you know of some 3rd-party businesses that do this
>significantly cheaper, and would you trust them to do it? Or should I just
>deal with it and be thankful, until I can save up for a new Powerbook?
How much have you got to spend? How technically adept are you? The
solution is to replace the left hinge and possibly the video data cable
and/or the LCD. There are outfits that can do the repairs or you can do
it yourself for considerably less. While I can't help with the former, I
can comment on the latter.

If you can do it yourself . . . on eBay, entire display assemblies cost
US$150 - $400, bare LCDs cost $75 - $250, hinges go for $25 to $85 each
and video data cables cost $10 to $50. The easiest repair of course is to
just replace the entire display. Replacing just the hinge, LCD and/or
cable requires the glued-together display bezel come apart and be glued
back together. Not for the technically squeemish, though certainly not
impossible.

Overall takeapart instructions (try Googling for "pbg4.pdf" ;-) I don't
have on my TiBook page, but I do have some useful infos:
<mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tibook_display.html>

hth,

dan k

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/