[Ti] Re: Ti logicboard and combo upgrade ?

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 09:57:57 PDT 2005

Ondra Soukup <ondras at di.cz> wrote:
>After one year I had been given a Ti from a friend for 2 weeks of use
>while my had been repaired , I saw it again.
>Horror. Broken hinges.About 200 pixels from right side of the screen
>were just white, you needed to press the corner to see something. The
>outer white frame was all scratched/black. Hard drive clicking around
>(lots of bad blocks) when idle. That's what happens when you give
>something to employe.
>
>So now I'll get the "rest"... 550MHz logic board (also keyboard),
>combo drive....
>  The question is if the 550MHz logic board could fit into my 400MHz
>(now 500MHz :) body ?
>As I just lifted up the keyboard on the 550, I saw that the combo
>drive is shorter...keyboard uses another connector so I would need to
>replace mine DE-ISO for EN-ANSI (thanks god, I'm not german :).
>Will the new COMBO fit into old 400MHz chassis ?
>Is there a way to overclock the 550 to 667 as it could be done with
>the first series Ti ?
>
>Maybe little bit confusing, but I hope you get it.
Yes, a little confusing. :-)

The 400/500 series and the 550/667 series cannot interchange logic
boards, at least not without a serious re-engineering of the other's
chassis. I don't think it's worth the trouble unless you have the time,
tools and talent.

Here's the confusing part - you do have the 550 chassis? If so . . .

The displays are completely interchangable as is the HD. I'd suggest
simply swapping the 400/500 display onto the 550, along with the good HD.
Then, even if the 550's cosmetics aren't great, at least you'll have a
working complete 'Book. You could always put some fresh paint on the
scratchedup edges (be creative!)

Yes, the 550 can at the very least be overclocked to 133MHz system bus. I
haven't yet been able to find details on overclocking the CPU though.
Anyone have that?
<http://www.voelker.com/service/void_powerbookg4bus/powerbookg4bus.php>
For all Mac overclocking info I usually start at Marc Schrier's page:
<http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/mhz.html>

dan k

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/