[Ti] Airport Card Troubles

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Aug 15 20:42:23 PDT 2005

On Aug 15, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Michael Ramirez wrote:

> Anyone else having this type of problem and have a fix? Is there an
> easy way to revert back to 10.4? Thanks for anyones help.

All kinds of people having problems, not only with the old AirPort
cards with Broadcom chipsets, but third party wireless with Broadcom
chipsets as well.

Follow these instructions _EXACTLY_ to downgrade, or you will break
your system.

Remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort.kext (version 3.4.4)
along with AppleAirPort2.kext (version 4.0)

Download and install Pacifist. If your networking is broken connect
with ethernet cable or you will have to download from another
computer, burn to a CD, and install on the affected Mac. Pacifist can
be gotten here ( http://www.charlessoft.com/ )

Insert your Tiger installation DVD and using Pacifist open the /
System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg file on the DVD. In
Pacifist under the Contents of Essentials.pgk browse to the /System/
Library/Extensions directory and install the following kernel
extensions using the Install button in the toolbar of Pacifist:

AppleAirPort.kext (version 3.4.4, same as the new one in 10.4.2),
AppleAirPort2.kext (version 3.5), and
AppleAirPort3.kext (version 3.6).

You'll now be running the old version of the AirPort drivers (kernel
extensions).  I've successfully downgraded about a dozen already with
a 100% success rate.
--
Chris