[Ti] Impending speed bumps?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Aug 24 20:15:23 PDT 2005

On Aug 24, 2005, at 9:28 AM, John Griffin wrote:

> I wonder if there is any chance (even a very slim one) that Apple
> could release just one low power dual core G5 Powerbook before they
> make the final switch to Intel (?!)

It's still a thermodynamics problem.  The 970MP is only about half
the physical size of the Pentium M, and dissipates considerably less
heat than the Pentium, but the problem of power density remains.  You
have a cpu with x in^2 surface area and it dissipates 100 watts (say
this is the Pentium).  Cut the size of this processor in half
physically (the G5) and you reduce the surface area available for the
heatsink to absorb heat by 4 times.  Now cut the amount of heat
dissipated by (let's say) only half - 50 watts.  Using my example
figures, your power density is twice with the G5 what it is with the
physically larger Pentium.

This is the major hurdle with putting a G5 in a PowerBook.

I could see a liquid cooling system where the coolant is circulated
using the case as a heatsink to extract heat from the coolant in lieu
of a radiator.  Aluminum has excellent thermal conductivity and even
though the bottom of the case would get warm, if you spread it out
over the entire surface I think it would be livable.  Just conjecture
- I'd have to do the math on that to quantify my theory, but off the
top of my head I'd say it would work.

If people could live with a slightly bigger PowerBook (like maybe the
size of the IBM ThinkPad) I think it could be done with the 970MP.
--
Chris