[Ti] Intel shows off 64-bit dual core processors for mobile, desktop, and servers

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Aug 25 05:34:40 PDT 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 12:13 AM, Tristan Gulyas wrote:

> Or the UltraSparc 4.

I guess I wouldn't necessarily call the SPARC elegant.  Sun's Gnome-
based Java Desktop is functional but hardly ready for the consumer
market.  It's an excellent corporate/scientific environment however.
Same thing applies to SGI MIPS in workstations such as the Tezro
which is elegant in visualization work, but not really a consumer
desktop environment.

> Apple's decision for an architecture transition is based on
> performance-per-watt.  They want to get power use down.  I mean,
> c'mon, a Pentium dual core 820 (2x2.8GHz) will chew over 200W of
> power.  I just can't get behind that sort of power for a
> processor.  This is the merit of the new Intel processor.

If they want performance per watt they already missed the boat,
looking at Intel's processor roadmap.  In the first place Intel is
famous for announcing things that never come to be and/or exit the
pipeline in a totally unrecognizable format (Itanic).  In the second
place Freescale has dual core processors that draw less power *TODAY*
than Intel outlined in their roadmap for the Pentium M.  I'll put
today's dual core PPC hardware up against Intel's vaporware dual core
Pentium M any day of the week and win on performance per watt.
Especially when Intel, as indicated in their roadmap, say that
they'll be *looking* at integrating memory controllers but it's not
going to happen initially.  Somebody got duped, perhaps Apple.

As you say, it's possible Apple will drop the dual core G4 into the
PowerBook.  But unlikely.  It would require a completely new logic
board design with a *much* faster bus and RAM.  My guess is that the
final update will consist of another clocked up G4 (2.0 Ghz) on the
same bus that we got now because they can do that without spending
any money on hardware development.
--
Chris