[Ti] Intel shows off 64-bit dual core processors for mobile, desktop, and servers

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Aug 25 05:56:23 PDT 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

> As you say, it's possible Apple will drop the dual core G4 into the
> PowerBook.  But unlikely.  It would require a completely new logic
> board design with a *much* faster bus and RAM.  My guess is that
> the final update will consist of another clocked up G4 (2.0 Ghz) on
> the same bus that we got now because they can do that without
> spending any money on hardware development.

I should've mentioned another issue with introduction of a dual core
32-bit processor in the PowerBook - marketing strategy.  It'd be sort
of "egg in face" if they released a dual core 32-bit processor that
benchmarks better than the G5.  It would have to designated G6 or
something, and then there's the issue with their business
relationship with IBM.

I don't see that happening because I don't see Freescale selling
Apple those dual core chips at any reasonable price.  If Apple bought
all their chips from one supplier (say Freescale), then I think the
story would be different.  But Freescale is busy cranking out those
chips for the embedded, automotive, communications and controller
industries, and Apple would've had to be in talks with them at least
a year ago in order to get chips now.  I highly doubt that ever
happened.  You just can't walk in the door at Freescale and say "guys
I want 500,000 dual core chips and I want them tomorrow".  Apple has
been in bed with IBM and trying to forget they were ever married to
Motorola.
--
Chris