[Ti] Re: Intel shows off 64-bit dual core processors for mobile, desktop, and servers

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Aug 26 23:08:44 PDT 2005

> But Freescale is busy cranking out those chips for the embedded,
> automotive, communications and controller industries, and Apple
> would've had to be in talks with them at least a year ago in order
> to get chips now.  I highly doubt that ever happened.  You just
> can't walk in the door at Freescale and say "guys I want 500,000
> dual core chips and I want them tomorrow".  Apple has been in bed
> with IBM and trying to forget they were ever married to Motorola.

Yup, Apple could never do business with Freescale.  They'd never
agree to work with the likes of Apple.

Oh wait...

"Apple Computer said on Friday said it has entered into a purchase
agreement with Freescale Semiconductor that will secure it a source
of PowerPC G4 microprocessors through the end of 2008."

             source: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1248

Huh... so do you suppose that Apple really decided not to stay with
the PPC even though they could have entered into an agreement with
Freescale?

Incredible, but it almost sounds as if Apple isn't completely unaware
of another PPC vendor and not unable to do business with them... but
yet still chose not to.

<q class="neo">Whoa</q>