[Ti] Re: fan use and multiple windows open

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:28:50 PDT 2005

Chris Olson wrote:

>On Aug 30, 2005, at 10:56 AM, John Pariseau wrote:
>
>>Safari has some memory leaks. I'm not too sure if the latest Safari updates fixed them. Have you tried switching to Firefox?
>
>Safari 2.0.1 addresses a couple leaks, but Firefox has far worse memory leak problems than Safari.  I've seen Firefox consume and fail to free 50+ MB in 15 minutes on Javascript code.

Same here, and I would add that Safari's problem (one of them) is caching. Way out of control, and the builtin cache-clearing mechanism is an illusion.

As for Firefox, I use it for the extensions, but it is not a Macintosh app by any stretch.

- Selected text isn't availbale on many Services menu items (I use NS-compliant services, and they work fine in Safari).

- Setting default download locations in prefs is limited to the file-types that are ported as 'choices' with the app (also, very limited).

- After countless revisions, Firefox's own Bookmarks menu still cannot generate a new browser window (meaning the main menu item needs a window opened, first, i mean , come on, grab an 8-yr old and bring the code into this century).

- And last (for now, but not least), selecting "Firefox" only, in its prefs, results in a check of the Extensions and Themes, also, despite the fact that the two choices (app/extensions) are separate choices for update checks). Sloppy stuff.

I like Firefox, but it's obviously designed to be 'better than Explorer, on Windows"...to which I say: "Who cares?". But, the extensibility of it makes it my choice, day-to-day, above all others. (And I was reluctant, in a way, to make it the 'default' here, after purchasing OmniWeb, Opera, etc...but, when you're the best, you're the best.)

brian s