[Ti] Intel shows off 64-bit dual core processors for mobile, desktop, and servers

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Aug 31 20:34:50 PDT 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 12:13 AM, Tristan Gulyas wrote:

> The big thing I will miss in this transition is AltiVec.  Rosetta
> won't (currently) translate AltiVec instructions so we can't run
> our G4/G5 apps on it.  The Freescale dual core G4 is certainly a
> contender for PowerBooks (and it would make sense for Apple to
> pioneer dual core mobile tech, just like the old days).  They
> haven't abandoned the PPC yet - or so they say and I'd say that the
> PowerBooks are due for one more revision between now and then.

It came to light today that Adobe will probably not have an x86
version of Photoshop, or any of the other apps in Adobe CS, available
for OS X on x86 when Apple releases the hardware.  Bruce Chizen
offers a glimpse of reality instead of the twisted illusion of the
Reality Distortion Field where you simply click a checkbox in Xcode
and BOOM! instant fat binary.

In an interview with CNet, Bruce Chizen was asked:
"Let's talk about Apple Computer. What is the early word about moving
Mac apps over to work on Intel-based systems? Not so easy?"

Chizen: "Steve (Jobs) likes to trivialize the process and make it
seem easy, but moving the apps over is not that easy...Getting over
to MacTel is work..........It's not that easy because you have to
compile the app, you have to test it. If you look at most testing
cycles, for any complex cycle, for any complex product, that's three
or four months until it's out. You just can't turn a switch and get a
MacTel product--and Steve knows that."
CNet: So, when do you think that Adobe will be ready to take Photoshop?
Chizen: "I haven't given a date yet, I'd be surprised if we did a
MacTel only release. I think you'll find us doing what we did with OS
X, which is to enhance the product and support the new environment at
the same time. If you look at our product cycles for products like
Photoshop and Creative Suite, they tend to be in the 18- to 24-month
cycle, which means that you're talking about either Q4 of '06 or Q1
of '07."

--

Chris