[Ti] OFFTOPIC Powerbook MacIntel . . .

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Dec 5 10:54:59 PST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 9:57 AM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> Microsoft are not just using unethical/strange/misunderstood
> practices to produce a product that is otherwise excellent (which I
> take as  the point of your anecdote about Abraham Lincoln); they
> are producing a low quality poor excuse for an OS.

I think a huge fallacy exists concerning marketing/market share vs
technological excellence.  Henry's thinking on this topic seems to
say that "If over 80% of processor sales belongs to Intel then it
must the best on earth."  By the same token, since Windows owns 90+%
of the market, then Windows must be the best operating system.

Market share means little when it comes to putting the best product
in the hands of the consumer.  To succeed in the marketplace it
doesn't have to be "insanely great", just "good enough".  90+% of
consumers are completely satisfied with "good enough", and that's why
Windows rules.

--
Chris