[Ti] Tiger on an 867

Mike Bigley bigley at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 07:39:43 PST 2005

>I have a 12" Powerbook with 640mb of RAM and a Superdrive. When I
>installed 10.4 Tiger the machine became a complete dog. So poor was
>the performance that I went back to 10.3.9.
>
>Does anyone else have experience with this machine and Tiger, and does
>10.4.3 make it any better?

I experienced something similar when I initially upgraded my Ti 500
to Tiger; unfortunately, I can't recall all of the steps I took to
get it back to normal, but here is what I do recall:

- re-ran disk permission repair several times (of course this is done
before and after upgrade routinely)
- used MacJanitor to clean up unix files.
- ran "update_prebinding" from terminal (while this is fairly
automatic function of OSX, I have found this manual application to
sometimes have positive results.
- I also manually deleted some cache files from /Library/Caches and
~User/Library/Caches (this requires some care and always a restart,
but my system was so slow at the time that I was thinking a clean
install may be required anyway)

I did get my system running normally without a re-install; this was
prior to 10.4.3, but I installed all software updates at the time.
Sorry about the somewhat vague solution, but perhaps some solutions
from others will provide more definitive solutions.

-Mike