[Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Arnie Ramirez arnie at mcetech.com
Mon Dec 12 10:51:00 PST 2005

You are absolutely right about those machines coming only with DVD-
ROM drives.  But by now many people have upgraded from the original
DVD-ROM drive and now have at least a Combo drive.  If you are
upgrading from a Combo (or slowSuperDrive) then you don't need the
whole cable/bracket kit since the new drive will be of the same form-
factor as what you are replacing... and you'll save some dough.

Best Regards,

Arnie Ramirez
MCE Technologies, LLC
http://www.mcetech.com

On Dec 12, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

On Dec 12, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Arnie Ramirez wrote:

> If your TiBook 400 currently has a Combo drive (a drive that burns
> CDs and reads DVDs) then you are correct... you can get a Dual
> Layer SuperDrive and use the same cable.  It is only if you are
> replacing a DVD-ROM only drive in those machines that you need to
> use an entirely new assembly (drive/brackets/cables).

The 400/500 never came with a Combo drive.  They're 6x DVD-ROM.  I
recently upgraded my old G4/400 after re-installing Tiger in it, to a
Mercury dual layer burner from OWC.  They sent a new cable with the kit.
--
Chris