[Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Dec 13 19:55:30 PST 2005

Chris Olson said:

>I re-read the original post and see Mikael is trying to use a cable
>from a 550 with a burner in a 400 (if I understand correctly).  I
>missed that the first time around.
Sure am. The drive comes from a crashed 550. Works great, except my 400
have been mangled, so the white ridge in the bottom case is broken in two
places and in the bottom plate the plastics and the titanium (?) plate is
moving away from each other, making the ridge a bit loose just where the
discs go in. When they come out they typically gets stuck.

I'm going to glue the bottom, but I still need a new whole ridge from a
top case. I've been contemplating using another broken ridge I have,
which is ripped in the back around the left hinge and saw both ridges off
at  the middle of both sides and glue them together again. It's
millimeter precision job, but I have the necessary tools at hand and I
can't imagine it getting worse than now (touch on wood).
Anyone have a top case with a whole ridge they want to sell? I don't need
anything else, so the track pad, speakers and so on may be removed. I'm
checking ebay now and then as well as other places. A complete top case
from the online sites is too expensive at the moment unfortunately.

>> If you are upgrading from a Combo (or slowSuperDrive) then you
>> don't need the whole cable/bracket kit since the new drive will be
>> of the same form-factor as what you are replacing... and you'll
>> save some dough.
>
>LaCie makes some really sexy-looking external mobile Firewire drives
>too that also work great with a PC or desktop Mac, as well as iBooks/
>PowerBooks:
>http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10186
Yes, but unfortunately I tend to move around a bit, so having it internal
would be great. Also someone else need the combo, but I don't have the
proper cage for it, so I might have to get a complete drive from someone too.
An external would have to be able to record TV to disc in order to
justify the expense and would have to have a firewire connector. I
haven't heard of such a product.  i.e., I guess a recordable DVD-player
with TV-tuner, or that takes an external signal, that can double as a
computer DVD-burner. It's just a question of giving the computer an
interface to the burner, so it should be doable, but that doesn't mean
there is such a beast out there.

Anyone seen such a product?