[Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 13 16:46:18 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> I'm very happy with my external burner, though I can't burn from
> the iDVD-program but have not so far found that any major
> disadvantage.

Maybe not any major disadvantage, but something that irks me to no
end.  That would be like Microsoft telling you you have to buy a Dell
with a 2X Pioneer burner that has an "Approved By Microsoft" stamp on
it in order to burn discs with Windows.

You can get around the Apple lock-in with iDVD on your PowerBook.
Apple did that originally to force people to buy their inferior and
overpriced (underspec'd compared to what you could get in a PC for
less money) internal DVD burners.  When the guys at OWC wrote "the
enabler" to allow iDVD burning with external or non-Apple burners,
Apple broke out the strong-arm tactics to shut it down.  So they
moved it to a website off US shores where Apple can't do anything
about it except throw a hissy fit.

Google for PatchBurn.

Apple cripples their software in order to form a lock-in with
hardware, and as usual the hackers find a way around it.  Apple's
strong arm tactics used to work before the internet became of age.....
--
Chris