[Ti] help with 10.4

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 13 20:21:43 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 9:27 PM, Mark Swanson wrote:

> The larger drive won't recognize my user password or my
> administrator password.  Should I toss to system folders on the 200
> and re-intall?

I've had three PowerMac G5's in my department, after being upgraded
to 10.4.3, that won't accept any username/password combination to log
in.  Couldn't log in from remote with SSH either.  One of them, after
being rebooted, started working.

The other two did not.

I tried to start both of them with the Tiger install disc and reset
the password with no luck.  I booted to single user mode, mounted the
disk at /, ran /etc/rc to init the system and bring it online, ran
SystemStarter to start misc system services, then reset the password
for root.  After reboot I then logged in with the GUI as root and
reset the user passwords.

The NetInfo database had been hosed on both machines.
--
Chris