[Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 13 22:07:55 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 11:42 PM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> The theory I've heard is that it's actually an MPEG-2 licensing
> issue; instead of licensing per copy of iDVD sold or distributed on
> a computer (which gets especially costly with upgrades), they
> license per DVD-R drive sold,

Nope.  Wrong theory.  MPEG-2 is licensed per unit in hardware or
software.  If you have a DVR cable set top box, for instance, the
hardware encoder/decoder will a have per unit license fee.  On the
Mac the DVD burner does not have a hardware MPEG-2 encoder/decoder.
Encoding is done in computer software (iDVD) and the license fee for
that encoder is already paid for, as well as the decoder in DVD
Player.  If you have another MPEG-2 decoder, such as the one
available for Quicktime, then you have to pay yet another license fee
for that decoder since it comprises another "unit".  Hence the MPEG-2
decoder for Quicktime is not free.
--
Chris