[Ti] Re: MPEG, was "Re: Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400"

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Wed Dec 14 07:56:37 PST 2005

Chris Olson said:

>On the
>Mac the DVD burner does not have a hardware MPEG-2 encoder/decoder.

Doesn't the graphic cards of the titaniums do MPEG-2 decoding? At least
earlier models of iBooks and the Pismo had this built in by default
hardware. However, at some list I was reading none of us could determine
for sure whether Apples software was actually making use of said builtin
decoders. If not, the DVD player apps sure decodes MPEG-2 much faster
than VLC or MPlayer. I think the latter 2 do it completely in software?