MPEG, was Re: [Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 14 00:48:43 PST 2005

You're missing the point, Chris.  I'm well aware that whatever does
the encoding, whether hardware or software, is what gets licensed.
And, obviously, the drive itself isn't doing the encoding.

The theory, however, is that by tying the software directly to the
hardware, they may have been able to convince the MPEG Licensing
Authority that they should be licensed per drive instead of per copy
of software.  Apple is not your average two-bit company, they've got
leverage with just about every other company they work with, so it's
not unlikely that they got the rules bent just slightly.  Hence, why
they keep switching between ATI and NVIDIA video cards as their
preferred vendor, or how they got their discount on NAND flash from
Samsung and other manufacturers, or even how they forced Microsoft
into the deal of investing $150 million plus continued development of
Office and IE as a way to avoid patent infringement litigation.

It's just a possibility, I'm not going to say that it's right or
wrong, and unless you were witness to the deal, it's impossible to
prove or disprove it.  It's no different than your "Apple hardware
lock-in" theory - just a guess.  Either one is entirely plausible,
and I doubt that anybody on this list could definitively prove it one
way or another (or, for that matter, prove a third theory that nobody
had even considered).