MPEG, was Re: [Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Dec 14 06:25:29 PST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 2:48 AM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> The theory, however, is that by tying the software directly to the
> hardware, they may have been able to convince the MPEG Licensing
> Authority that they should be licensed per drive instead of per
> copy of software.

I'm failing to see the logic of this, and if I was MPEG LA I know I
wouldn't fall for that one.  If they only licensed the drive then you
got potentially hundreds of thousands of encoders out there (in iDVD)
that aren't licensed and that could illegally burn an MPEG-2 image
file, regardless of the drive.

What I do see is the EULA for the software, which contains the MPEG-2
licensing information.  I'd suggest perhaps reading it.  It says
software, not hardware in that EULA.  Same thing in Quicktime 7.
--
Chris