[Ti] Virtual PC question

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 20 10:11:37 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 10:17 AM, mac2 wrote:
> It is 64 bit on Sparc, it has always been 32 bit on x86 since the
> 2.0 original Solaris/Sys V release in the early 90's, the recent
> exception being the AMD 64 bit stuff.

The most recent AMD64 port runs much better than the 32-bit x86
port.  I think the 32-bit port suffers from lack of memory address
space, which the Solaris kernel is pretty much designed with since it
originated on SPARC processors.

> I WONT run Gnome or kde.  IMHO they look like cheap windows knock-
> offs.

KDE is a cheap Windows knockoff.  Gnome is a cheap Mac OS X knockoff
with parts of the Windows interface intermarried with it.

> YMMV. I do a lot of my work from a shell prompt.  If I need a GUI
> environment, I use either Openwindows/OpenLook or WindowMaker.

OpenWindows works pretty good in my Solaris VPC install on my dual
PowerMac G4.  I haven't actually tried it on a PowerBook, but I think
it would be OK.
--
Chris