[Ti] Virtual PC question

mac2 mac2 at oryx.cc
Tue Dec 20 08:17:32 PST 2005

Hello Chris,

Thank you again for your reply.

Chris Olson wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:29 AM, mac2 wrote:
>
>> I will soon have a new Powerbook 1.67 Ghz and, in addition to Mac  OS
>> X, I need to run Solaris 10 x86.
>

> Another thing you're going to find out really fast is that a  PowerBook
> is a pretty week-kneed unit to run Solaris.  Solaris runs  like a three
> legged dog on real x86 hardware, much less trying to run  it on emulated
> hardware.  Solaris is a 64-bit SysV Unix,

It is 64 bit on Sparc, it has always been 32 bit on x86 since the 2.0 original
Solaris/Sys V release in the early 90's, the recent exception being the AMD 64
bit stuff.

  and the port  to x86 didn't go
> all that well.  It's passable on a dual Opteron 64- bit system, but most
> definitely not 32-bit x86 systems.  Anything  that runs on x86 Solaris
> is SLOW and sucks up a ton of memory, which  in VirtualPC means lots of
> swapping.
>
> You need a minimum of 256 MB physical RAM for your virtual machine,  and
> the disk I/O time kills performance big time when it starts to  swap.
> If you decide to run Gnome, be prepared to do a lot of finger  tapping
> on the desk waiting.......and waiting......and  waiting.......to even
> open something simple like a terminal window.

I WONT run Gnome or kde.  IMHO they look like cheap windows knock-offs.  YMMV.
I do a lot of my work from a shell prompt.  If I need a GUI environment, I use
either Openwindows/OpenLook or WindowMaker.