[Ti] Virtual PC question

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Dec 19 16:57:35 PST 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:29 AM, mac2 wrote:

> I will soon have a new Powerbook 1.67 Ghz and, in addition to Mac
> OS X, I need to run Solaris 10 x86.

Another thing you're going to find out really fast is that a
PowerBook is a pretty week-kneed unit to run Solaris.  Solaris runs
like a three legged dog on real x86 hardware, much less trying to run
it on emulated hardware.  Solaris is a 64-bit SysV Unix, and the port
to x86 didn't go all that well.  It's passable on a dual Opteron 64-
bit system, but most definitely not 32-bit x86 systems.  Anything
that runs on x86 Solaris is SLOW and sucks up a ton of memory, which
in VirtualPC means lots of swapping.

You need a minimum of 256 MB physical RAM for your virtual machine,
and the disk I/O time kills performance big time when it starts to
swap.  If you decide to run Gnome, be prepared to do a lot of finger
tapping on the desk waiting.......and waiting......and
waiting.......to even open something simple like a terminal window.
--
Chris