[Ti] Help selling a powerbook...

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:21:25 PST 2005

I think that a lot depends on what the market demands. I just sold my
Ti550. I looked at completed auctions for systems with the same
processer and comparable features and priced accordingly. I set the
list and buy it now price the same ($850) and insisted on immediate
payment via paypal. It was a gamble, that might have backfired, but it
paid off in spades, the thing sold within the first 24 hours. All in
all, I think having a 50+ perfect eBay rating didn't hurt either...

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:02:36 -0800, Erik Gaderlund <gaderson at mac.com> wrote:
> At 06:21 PM -0600 01/18/05, Benn wrote:
> >On Jan 18, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Rod Duncan wrote:
> >>I'm confused. What gamble? Put a reserve price on it and let the
> >>bidding begin. You don't ship until you have the money. The real
> >>gamble is always on the purchaser's end. When buying, we always do
> >>it blind. The vendor holds all the cards. Maybe I am missing your
> >>point.
> >
> >First of all, thank you all for your responses.
> >
> >As for eBay, it is my impression and experience in selling that
> >reserves often scare off potential buyers, as they are unsure of
> >what price they will need to bid in order to get the machine if they
> >win the auction.  And, selling without a reserve, well, that's quite
> >a gamble I think.
> >I am also hesitant because of the fees eBay charges (even though
> >they are minimal) and the cut they take.  I'd feel better through a
> >private sale.  Perhaps I'm being unreasonable though.
>
> On 'study' I read about, found that starting with a low, or no,
> reserve usually gave better results (higher final price) than
> starting with a more moderate reserve.  They suggested to start the
> bidding at $1 and with no reserve seemed to give a better final
> price.  Certainly people are more likely to bid on something that
> isn't already set high.
>
> erik g

Polonius19
Chief Malcontent & Misanthrope