[Ti] My Mac is going slower

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Feb 6 07:01:46 PST 2005

Terence Cozad typed this message on 2/5/05 11:28 AM:

> If reinstalling from the combo updater does not help consider doing an
> archive and install or it it has been a long time since you formatted the
> drive, zero out the drive and reinstall everything from scratch. It is
> possible you have some preferences that have become corrupted or corruption
> in the operating system itself.
> To check for corrupt preferences, and lots of other things, download Onyx
> and under Unix utilities run the plutil command for both users and system
> and it will let you know if any preferences are corrupt.
> You can run this from terminal also but Onyx does so much more I thought I
> would mention it.
> Terry

I am a fan of the utility ³Applejack.² It is a freeware collection of
scripts that you can run from single user mode. It does all the stuff that
Cocktail does to clean caches up and restore permissions and prebinding and
it also examines .plist files. Plus it does a proper fsck(ing). It seems to
do things a bit more thoroughly then Cocktail.

jg