[Ti] Target Mode

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 7 16:52:37 PST 2005

At 01:27 +0100 8/2/05, Kim Gammelgård wrote:
>Hey Mark,
>
>We were not talking about Ethernet at all! We
>were talking about using a crossover Firewire
>cable instead! I have no idea if it needs a
>special crossover cable or not. I just got a
>firewire cable and that works - and that a lot
>faster than 100 Mbit Ethernet too!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Kim
>
>Den 7. feb 2005, kl. 22.36, skrev Mark Gibson:
>
>>At 16:09 -0500 7/2/05, Carbotron wrote:
>>>I have to admit the firewire networking is
>>>very fast! indeed almost as fast as running
>>>gigabit from one tibook to another. for that
>>>all you need is a crossover cable, of almost
>>>any quality if it's short, really.
>>>i successfully ran a firewire network in a
>>>pinch from my winxp gaming box(through a few
>>>old vaxes and an ipx) to my 800 for a good
>>>several months till i got tired of it. now
>>>that i have wifi, i still find myself hooking
>>>up the firewire to xfer lots of files at a
>>>laptop hd limited speed. still damn fast.
>>>
>>>	-Jason Economou
>>>	Carbotron Composites
>>>

>>>On Feb 7, 2005, at 4:02 PM, Kim Gammelgård wrote:
>>>
>>>Just a side note:
>>>
>>>Instead of using target mode, you can add a
>>>Firewire network setting in the network
>>>settings of two computers.
>>>
>>>Set the IP-addresses manually to say 10.0.0.1
>>>and 10.0.0.2 and let the one be the router and
>>>then open file sharing on one and connect the
>>>other to that.
>>>
>>>Then you don't have to boot your computer and
>>>can use it while transferring files at
>>>Firewire speed!
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Kim

>>Actually you don't need a "cross over" cable as
>>the auto sensing Ethernet port in the PowerBook
>>will automatically reconfigure to make a
>>standard cable into a "cross over" cable as
>>required.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mark (}-:

Kim,

Yes I know "Target Mode" doesn't need Ethernet,
nor for your information, is there such a thing a
a cross over Firewire cable.

I was responding to the previous post by Jason
(please read the paras above, specifically:
"almost as fast as running gigabit from one
tibook to another. for that all you need is a
crossover cable") which spoke about setting up IP
addresses and copying data between Macs and PC's
that way.

Somehow I don't think that is achieved using
"Target Mode"  but standard Ethernet cabling -
which amazingly enough was what I was answering.

--

Regards,

Mark (}-:

Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

I loathe people who keep dogs.  They are cowards
who haven't got the guts to bite people
themselves.                  --August Strindberg