[Ti] PB Batteries

Carbotron jason at kradcarbon.com
Tue Feb 8 17:18:58 PST 2005

having jsut recieved my 4400mah battery(unfortunately cosmetically
blemished new, by hi-capacity), and been monitoring it for the past few
days with xbattery. i left it plugged into the wall for about 48 hrs,
with the machine sleeping(ti 800 + 65w ac adaptor), after that i got
about  and  i've come to a few conclusions that need confirmation.

1: it senses when it's done charging not by capacity and current
charge, but by voltage. predicted times are from amperage current and
capacity.
this new battery peaks at 16.8v!! it then stops charging. it seems to
stop charging and goes to trickle anytime the voltage goes above 16.5v
taking the battery out and putting it back in seems to start it
charging back up, but then it stumbles again. the light on the power
adapter sometimes goes green, even when it's regular charging. soon
after it stops charging. it'll also predict  only a few minutes(less
than 5) till a full charge from low% full. it'll actually get it's full
charge, but it's a serious pain to get it there!  these cells are
peaking at 4.2v each, so they're all 8 working well. i'm wondering if
these are working too well! this was it's first few cycles. has anyone
else seen this?

2: some batteries have with a non-resettable capacity values!
i've drained it from my initial 48 hr charge out to sleeping with a
good 20 extra minutes of run-time past one minute remaining. after
charging it back up, it's still exactly 4.400Ah. yeah right. is there a
way(other than a full discharge till sleep) to reset the battery's
capacity value?

thank you all very much!

	-Jason Economou
	Carbotron Composites

On Feb 7, 2005, at 3:27 PM, John Griffin wrote:

Arjan Bos typed this message on 2/7/05 3:21 PM:

> #!/bin/bash
>
> [ -x /usr/sbin/ioreg ] && \
>      /usr/sbin/ioreg -p IODeviceTree -n "battery" -w 0 | \
>      sed -ne '/| *{/,/| *}/ {
> s/^[ |]*//g
> /^[{}]/!p
>         }' | \
>   awk '/Battery/ {
>                 gsub("[{}()\"]","", $3)
>                 gsub(","," ",$3)
>                 split($3,ct," ")
>                 # extract flag value and convert to hex
>                 sub("Flags=","",ct[2])
>                 str=sprintf("Flags=%d/0x%03x",ct[2],ct[2])
>                 sub("Flags=[0-9]*",str,$3)
>                 # get max and current charge levels
>                 printf("%s [%.1f%%]\n", tolower($3), 100*ct[5]/ct[4])
>                 }'
>
> #EOF

Hmm! All I get is a series of error codes!

jg