[Ti] chronic broken disk drive

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Feb 13 10:07:20 PST 2005

At 09:38 -0800 13/2/05, melissa j wrote:
>12" g4 titanium 867 MHz powerbook
>
>the cd drive just stopped working.
>
>4 months later, it was broken again.
>
>then again near the end of my warranty
>
>by the 92nd day, the cd drive was once again broken.
>
>its a design defect.
>
>Im a poor student who NEEDS my computer to function
>and im very distraught by all of this so any advice on
>this is greatly appreciated because i really have no
>idea what to do from here.

Melissa - sorry to hear of your string of CD drive troubles.... :-(

I think your analysis of the situation is about right.

I wonder if the CD drive issue is more acute with the 12" simply
because of space/design considerations/limitations?

I think if you could find the Customer Service Manager of Apple for
your region, (s)he should be at least sympathetic to this history,
regardless of the legal considerations.
I think that is what I would do.

 From the legal side, I can offer no opinion, but there are some List
members from that profession, as well as some with considerable
ownership experience wsith Apple, who might have some ideas for oyu.

I had the CD drive go on my Ti-500  and the DVD drive on this
Al-book.  Both were fixed under warranty, but it left me with the
feeling that this component was about the 'weakest link' in the
product.

All the best,  Trevor