[Ti] chronic broken disk drive

melissa j butidigfriction at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 09:38:47 PST 2005

so i bought my 12" g4 titanium 867 MHz powerbook in
september of 2003, and i believe it was  feb. when the
cd drive just stopped working. since i was still under
warrenty, it was replaced for free. maybe 4 months
later, it was broken again. and then again near the
end of my warrenty (sept.) with a refurbished part
that had its 90 day warrenty. by the 92nd day, the cd
drive was once again broken.
the truth of the matter is that i hardly even use the
drive. every now and then i upload a cd, burn a cd,
watch a dvd...maybe once a week? i went to the mac
place that had been replacing my drives, and they let
me in on a secret. "these things are designed to work
really well, but sometimes after a period of time they
find theres a problem, the cd drives on the 12"
powerbooks for some reason just go." and thats it. its
a design defect.
and what am i supposed to do with this computer that i
cant really use for what i need it for, esp. when its
not worth fixing seeing that it will definatly break
again after 90 days, this time at my expense.
So, i was wondering what the lemon laws are with
computers. Its not under warrenty, but it was very
obvious there was a serious problem when it was under
warrenty and mac just kind of pushed it through till
my warrenty was up, not actually fixing a default,
just giving temporary solutions.
 Im a poor student who NEEDS my computer to function
and im very distraught by all of this so any advice on
this is greatly appreciated because i really have no
idea what to do from here.
thanks.
melissa