[Ti] Re: intermittent vertical line on pb400 screen

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 17:33:07 PST 2005

Stephan Miklos <stephan_miklos at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>I have a powerbook 400 that occasionally has a vertical line appear on the
>screen about 45 pixels from the right side of the screen. It looks like
>the pixels are stuck and appear pink. It always appears in the same place.
>
>It comes and goes intermittently and and the pixels stay stuck for
>anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks.
>
>Other than being visually distracting, the stuck pixels don't affect the
>performance of the computer in any way that I can determine.
>
>Any suggestions on how I can permanently fix the problem?
The stuck line is probably a 'slightly' failed edge connection between
the LCD itself and its integral 'driver' circuit board. The connection is
made with a heatset adhesive, and while in theory it's possible to
securely re-attach the connection using a heated tool (think something
like precise temp controlled clothes iron), I've never done it and so
can't really give any practical suggestions as to how it might be done.

I think for most people, replacing the entire LCD panel is the only
practical repair.

hth,

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/