[Ti] Re: cracked edge

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon Feb 28 07:16:59 PST 2005

At 20:18 -0500 24/2/05, Dan K wrote:
>The plastic edging is almost certainly a form of polycarbonate and
>therefore cracks can be 'welded' using a solvent-type welder.

As a polymer technologist, I think you may becorrect that the
case/edge may be made from polycarbonate.  I do not know for sure.

Whilst polycarbonate is a tough polymer, it is rapidly destroyed by
many solvents.  So I would urge caution.  Xylene is a good solvent,
but will destroy it.  I am pretty sure that amyl acetate is a
practical solvent for welding polycarbonate.  There may be others.
Anyone thinking of solvent-welding ought to be careful that the
solvent they use is not just a solvent for polycarbonate but a
non-destructive one.

All that said, solvent welding is a good repair technique, if it is
appropriate for the damage.

regards,  Trevor