[Ti] Show Hard drive when sharing with windows OT

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Jan 4 17:27:54 PST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Hector Luna wrote:

> I don't have my powerbook with me, so I can't share the details, much
> less the proper syntax, but essentially, you need to modify the
> samba.conf file to share the Volume and not just your user account.

It's actually /etc/smb.conf

> Maybe someone else on the list can provide more specifics. If not,
> I'll post the syntax tomorrow...

Mac OS X Hint of week:
For advanced configuration of Samba, use SWAT (Samba Web Administration
Tool).  First you have to enable it.  To do so open a Terminal window,
highlight and drag n drop the following commands (or type them in), one
at a time, on your open Terminal window:
cp /etc/services ~/Desktop
cp /etc/inetd.conf ~/Desktop

Click on your desktop to refresh it.  You'll see two files appear on
your desktop named 'services' and 'inetd.conf'.  Drag n drop 'services'
on TextEdit to open it.  Scroll down to the 900 section and paste the
following line in:
swat    901/tcp    #samba configuration server

Save the file on your desktop.

Do the same with 'inetd.conf' and add the following line at the bottom
of the file:
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root  /usr/sbin/swat swat

Save that file on your desktop too.

Now drag n drop the following two commands into an open Terminal window
again:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/services /etc/
cudo cp ~/Desktop/inetd.conf /etc/

Reboot the machine.