[Ti] CDRW/DVD drive

Wilcox, Jeffrey S. LCDR (VFA37) wilcoxjs at VFA37.navy.mil
Wed Jan 5 02:13:51 PST 2005

Hi all,

My first post to the list, so please take it easy on me.  :-)

I recently bought a used 667 DVI TI book and am enjoying it quite a bit.  I
was a bit concerned about the speed of the book prior to buying it, but it
has more than exceeded my expectations.

I am having some problems with the optical drive (CDRW/DVD) that I'd like
some help/suggestions with.  First, it makes quite a bit of noise once it
pulls the disc into the drive.  A rather loud series of clicks.  Is this
normal?  I've never had a slot loading drive before, so I'm not sure what to
expect.

Additionally, it has recently decided to no longer mount blank CD media.
I've tried a variety of CD-R and CD-RW discs and they routinely get spit
back out by the drive.  It doesn't seem to mind DVD's or "pre-burned" CD's,
however.  I've tried "cleaning" the drive with a disc that has the little
brushes on it, but that didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?  I've started looking at the OWC Mercury TI superdrive as a
possible replacement, but would prefer to resurrect this drive if I can
first.

Thanks in advance
Jeff