[Ti] CDRW/DVD drive

Justin R.Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Wed Jan 5 05:55:59 PST 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 5:13 AM, Wilcox, Jeffrey S. LCDR (VFA37) wrote:

> I recently bought a used 667 DVI TI book and am enjoying it quite a
> bit.  I
> was a bit concerned about the speed of the book prior to buying it,
> but it
> has more than exceeded my expectations.

I've had the same model since it was new, and I love it :-)

> I am having some problems with the optical drive (CDRW/DVD) that I'd
> like
> some help/suggestions with.  First, it makes quite a bit of noise once
> it
> pulls the disc into the drive.  A rather loud series of clicks.  Is
> this
> normal?  I've never had a slot loading drive before, so I'm not sure
> what to
> expect.

It does make some pretty disconcerting noises such as clicks, but this
is normal.  Once it takes the disc it settles down a bit.

> Additionally, it has recently decided to no longer mount blank CD
> media.
> I've tried a variety of CD-R and CD-RW discs and they routinely get
> spit
> back out by the drive.  It doesn't seem to mind DVD's or "pre-burned"
> CD's,
> however.  I've tried "cleaning" the drive with a disc that has the
> little
> brushes on it, but that didn't fix the problem.

Can you still burn CDs with programs like iTunes & iPhoto, i.e. where
it prompts you for a blank disc?  I just had my burner start acting up
in all cases and ended up swapping it with a combo drive out of a
friend's dead machine.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net