[Ti] Airport questions....

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Jan 15 10:28:38 PST 2005

Yeah, that's probably in about the right range.  I'm getting strength
of about -62 dBm and noise of about -82 dBm.  I'm in a heavy
residential area and we have 2.4 GHz phones in the apartment, and the
base station is probably 20 feet away, through a door.

A couple things to remember; the unit of measurement is decibels.  The
larger the number, the stronger the power (obviously, -63 is much
greater than -93, hence you are getting a very good signal-to-noise
ratio)  A signal that is twice as strong will increase by 3 dB.  A
difference of 10 dB means the power is 10 times greater.  A difference
of 20 dB is 100 times greater - in your case, there's a difference of
30 dB; that means the signal is about 1000 times stronger than the
noise.
Also, the amounts of power here are absolutely tiny.  -30 dBm is 1
microWatt.  -60 dBm is 1 nanoWatt.  -90 dBm is 1 picoWatt.  The total
output power of an Airport base station is 15 dBm, or roughly 30
milliWatts.  So you're picking up roughly one 60 millionth of the power
that is being put out.  ;-)

I'm sure if I screwed up my math here, somebody will jump in to save
me...