[Ti] PB G4 Reserve-battery

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Mon Jan 17 14:48:56 PST 2005

> --On January 17, 2005 08:00:24 PM +0100 heindebruijne <dbruyne at knmg.nl> wrote:
>
>>> but a apple reseller in Utrecht told me to charge this big battery
>>> following this procedure:
>>> for 4 hours with the small reserve-battery taken out and then
>>> for 4 hours with the same small one in and attached.
>>> Anyone ever heard of this?
>
> There is no reserve battery in the Titanium or Aluminum PowerBooks. There is
> a PRAM or Clock battery way inside that would require disassembly to replace.
> However that lasts a long time and is not a user replaceable item. That
> should have nothing to do with your main battery failing to supply enough
> power.
>
> Battery capacity depends upon age and use. If you have it more than a year,
> it could be at the end of its life. Sometimes they get uncalibrated which
> makes them appear to discharge faster than they should. You can recalibrate
> it by allowing it to completely discharge with the PowerBook on and unplugged
> from the power adapter so that it shuts itself down. Then charge it fully. If
> it then does not last more than a brief amount of time, then it is likely
> kaput. If it is still pretty new (a few months or so) you may be able to get
> warranty or Applecare replacement.

Two things you can try.
Reset the power manager. See details on apple's site in the support section.

Try charging the battery fully. Remove the charger for 30 seconds or so and
then reinsert. Try this 3-4 times if the battery takes a charge after
attempt.

There was a fix for the shortened TiBook/AlBook battery time after an OS
update posted on MacFixIt.com. I'll try to track it down.

John

--
 One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them.
 One OS to bring them all and in anti-competitive practices bind them.

--
"You recommend Macs to your friends, and Intel machines to those whom you
don't mind billing by the hour."