[Ti] Help selling a powerbook...

Erik Gaderlund gaderson at mac.com
Wed Jan 26 03:02:36 PST 2005

At 06:21 PM -0600 01/18/05, Benn wrote:
>On Jan 18, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Rod Duncan wrote:
>>I'm confused. What gamble? Put a reserve price on it and let the
>>bidding begin. You don't ship until you have the money. The real
>>gamble is always on the purchaser's end. When buying, we always do
>>it blind. The vendor holds all the cards. Maybe I am missing your
>>point.
>
>First of all, thank you all for your responses.
>
>As for eBay, it is my impression and experience in selling that
>reserves often scare off potential buyers, as they are unsure of
>what price they will need to bid in order to get the machine if they
>win the auction.  And, selling without a reserve, well, that's quite
>a gamble I think.
>I am also hesitant because of the fees eBay charges (even though
>they are minimal) and the cut they take.  I'd feel better through a
>private sale.  Perhaps I'm being unreasonable though.

On 'study' I read about, found that starting with a low, or no,
reserve usually gave better results (higher final price) than
starting with a more moderate reserve.  They suggested to start the
bidding at $1 and with no reserve seemed to give a better final
price.  Certainly people are more likely to bid on something that
isn't already set high.

erik g