[Ti] crashing around

John McG ensignjd at optonline.net
Wed Jul 6 10:45:24 PDT 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 1:20 PM, silvo conticello wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> it is few days I'm getting the spin of death every few hours and I
> cannot understand why.
> After 6-8 hours of use, I start getting the beachball spinning in
> one application, then as soon as I switch to another application
> the spinning starts also there, and so on untill the entire AlBook
> is a spinning beachball. At that point the only solution seemed to
> push the power button and force the shut down.
>
> One of the symptoms that I hear in conjunction with this is a
> recursive noise in the left speaker (it might well be not connected
> to the speaker - I thought it might be the disk).
> I see (menumeters) the CPU load varying, while, as soon as the
> symptoms start, it seems that there is no activity on the disk.
> The last time it happened I found the computer with the screen off
> (I was awy for 15min) and the cooling fan working. I could not turn
> on the screen in any way, so I just shut the computer down.
>
> At least once I succeed to restart the computer after the first
> application went spinning (actually if I don't switch to any other
> application the first beachball will disappear letting you get the
> shutdown dialog).
>
> FSCK and Diskwarrior did not find any problem.
>
> Could it be a problem with the disk? (@#$%@% I've a deadline in 1
> week, and I cannot afford to lose the computer now)
>
> Thanks
> Silvo
>

> Silvo Conticello
> Albook 17" 1.5GHz/1.5Gb RAM/80Gb HD/OS10.3.9
> iMac 1GHz/500Mb Ram/80Gb HD/OS10.4.1/17" display
> Cambridge UK

Car crash sound on startup usually means bad ram. Shut your computer
down, remove the battery, remove the power cord, then remove the ram
stick(s) check the contacts. If they seem dirty rub with a clean
cloth or gently with a pencil eraser. Reinsert securely, put the
machine back together and start it up. All of these symptoms could be
caused by dirty contacts or bad ram.

If this doesn't work try using only one ram stick at a time to check
for a bad ram stick. Instruction for replacing the ram should be in
your owner's paperwork.

John

--
Some people have minds like blotters: They soak up everything but get
it all backward.