[Ti] crashing around

silvo conticello silvoc at tiscali.it
Wed Jul 6 10:57:46 PDT 2005

On 6 Jul 2005, at 18:45, John McG wrote:

>> it is few days I'm getting the spin of death every few hours and I
>> cannot understand why.
>> After 6-8 hours of use, I start getting the beachball spinning in one
>> application, then as soon as I switch to another application the
>> spinning starts also there, and so on untill the entire AlBook is a
>> spinning beachball. At that point the only solution seemed to push
>> the power button and force the shut down.
>> One of the symptoms that I hear in conjunction with this is a
>> recursive noise in the left speaker (it might well be not connected
>> to the speaker - I thought it might be the disk).
>> I see (menumeters) the CPU load varying, while, as soon as the
>> symptoms start, it seems that there is no activity on the disk.
>> The last time it happened I found the computer with the screen off (I
>> was awy for 15min) and the cooling fan working. I could not turn on
>> the screen in any way, so I just shut the computer down.
>> At least once I succeed to restart the computer after the first
>> application went spinning (actually if I don't switch to any other
>> application the first beachball will disappear letting you get the
>> shutdown dialog).
>> FSCK and Diskwarrior did not find any problem.

> Car crash sound on startup usually means bad ram.

Sorry, I wrote it badly: the noise happens when the problem starts,
until I shut down the AlBook. The startup of the computer is fine
(actually faster than I would have expected given the forces shutdown)
Silbo

Silvo Conticello
Albook 17" 1.5GHz/1.5Gb RAM/80Gb HD/OS10.3.9
iMac 1GHz/500Mb Ram/80Gb HD/OS10.4.1/17" display
Cambridge UK