[Ti] TI upgrade ?

Bradley Ellis brad212 at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 07:24:14 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I just got back my ~ 3 year old 667 (DVI) PowerBook (pb) from the
shop (weeks before my AppleCare expired).  This book got a new LCD
screen a couple years ago (again, under AppleCare).  I bumped up the
hard drive to a 60 gig 5400 rmp (from the original 30 gig 4200 rpm)
about 6 months ago.  About a year ago, I bumped to RAM to the full 1
gig.  This pb has an inboard AirPort card.

This latest AppleCare trip resulted in a new logic board and heat
sink wire assembly.

I love this pb, it has served me well.  Is there any logic to bumping
up the logic board to a 1.0 Mhz board?  I've never play with a faster
processor next to my current 667, so I do not know what I am missing.

Are there any other upgrades I should consider?  My Combo Drive is
still original (and works fine).  I've thought of bumping that up to
a after-market SuperDrive, but wonder if a 667 is too slow to mess
with burning dvds (which I would rarely - if ever - do anyway.  My
backup system is via a firewire outboard hard drive.)  Is this
machine about as tricked out as it should ever get?  I have no
problem de-soldering and soldering components if such upgrades exist
(e.g. maybe just faster processor?).

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Brad