[Ti] TI upgrade ?

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 13:10:25 PDT 2005

> From: Bradley Ellis <brad212 at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] TI upgrade ?
>
> Yes sir, I too noticed a performance bump going from my 4200 rpm
> drive to the 5400.  The primary reason for my bump was the need for
> more storage (not necessarily performance).  At the time, the price
> jump above a 5400 rpm drive was SIGNIFICANT - so I stuck with the
> 5400 rpm model.
>
> Thank you sir for sharing your knowledge.

>>> I just got back my ~ 3 year old 667 (DVI) PowerBook (pb) from the

>>> Are there any other upgrades I should consider?  My Combo Drive is
>>> still original (and works fine).  I've thought of bumping that up
>>> to a after-market SuperDrive, but wonder if a 667 is too slow to
>>> mess with burning dvds (which I would rarely - if ever - do
>>> anyway.  My backup system is via a firewire outboard hard drive.)
>>> Is this machine about as tricked out as it should ever get?  I
>>> have no problem de-soldering and soldering components if such
>>> upgrades exist (e.g. maybe just faster processor?).
>>>
>>> Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Brad

Drive upgrades and RAM are the way to go.  That will help you keep your book
a bit longer.  There are no processor upgrades nor video card upgrades for
the Ti as per how they are constructed.  No go.   But you can put a
superdrive in.  I switched out a friend's combo on his 550 for a superdrive
and it works just fine.  NO problems.

Cheers