[Ti] Updating to Tiger

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Jul 24 13:39:52 PDT 2005

Probably not in the usual way. You will probably get a message that
you can’t use those disks to install on an unsupported machine. You
could try and port it across by making the TiBook a Firewire Target
disk and using a backup utility like SuperDuper to write the new
system. The nice thing about SuperDuper is that it will replace only
those files on the TiBook that are updated on the iBook (like Tiger)
and make a bootable Tiger Volume.

The only problem might be that there a few system files absent in the
Tiger install on your iBook that are needed to make the TiBook
bootable, so be careful! The worst that can happen is that you will
have to go out and buy a master set of Tiger install disks (but we
all want to support Apple, right?)

But by the same token, if you make the a Target Disk of the iBook,
you could attempt to start up the TiBook with the internal drive of
the iBook and see what happens. If you can do so successfully, you
can probably just copy the system across using your backup utility.

jg