[Ti] Updating to Tiger

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Mon Jul 25 09:59:28 PDT 2005

--On July 24, 2005 4:39:52 PM -0400 John Griffin <jwegriffin at mac.com> wrote:

>  You  could try and port it across by making the TiBook a Firewire Target
> disk and using a backup utility like SuperDuper to write the new  system.

I've tried cloning one PowerBook system to another, but I don't think it's
likely to work that well. I cloned an Aluminum G4 Panther system to a
Titanium G4 PowerBook to use it as a backup while the Aluminum was in the
shop. It mostly worked, but a few times a day, or more sometimes, the screen
would freeze. I could tell the system was still running behind there, and the
mouse cursor still moved around, but it would not respond to clicks or
keyboard input. Often, the dock icons would get random horizontal lines
obliterating them.

This told me either I had a hardware problem in the graphics area or the
graphics drivers for the AlBook weren't quite fully compatible with the
TiBook graphics hardware.

I have since done a clean install and rebuild on the TiBook; it has behaved
fine, indicating hardware should be OK and the problem was system
incompatibility.

Perhaps if both machines used the same graphics accelerators, all would work
fine.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com