[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Sun Jun 5 05:36:36 PDT 2005

Chris Olson wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2005, at 2:41 AM, Henry Kalir wrote:
>
>> I don't know why you get all riled up - I think that the wider the
>> audience for the Mac OS - the BETTER it would be for all.
>

> No, it wouldn't.  When you're in the business of selling BMW cars, you
> don't take an engine out of a BMW and drop it in a Chevy so you can
> sell more BMW engines.
>
> In case anybody doesn't know it, Intel's WiMax 802.16 wireless
> broadband technology is much cooler than their [boring] power-hungry
> processor lineup.  Imagine this - Apple talks to Intel about using
> Intel chips to incorporate 802.16 technology into their hardware.
> Now, _that_ I can see.

The "car analogies" really have NOTHING to do with the Mac, "PC" or any
of the OSes capable of running on them.

You cite Intel's "..[boring] power-hungry processor lineup" yet fail to
mention that the G5 requires NINE cooling fans as well as **liquid
cooling** for the CPU to deal with the heat generated by its components.

Intel is not perfect, AMD 64 may be better, and who knows - they may
develop something else - I don't know.

I do **think** however, that something needs to be done about the dismal
market share held by the Mac. The iPod/iTunes success is due to its
compatibility with PCs and points to ONE way (there well may be others)
for Apple to survive and thrive.