[Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

thor thorthor at altern.org
Mon Jun 6 13:31:22 PDT 2005

> Perhaps this is the first step in an evolving process of many years,
> say 10-20 years, in which the world will gradually change over to
> Unix/Linux based computers, operating with Intel chips. Notice I
> didn't say anything about the "Evil One" or Microsquish?
>
> Just speculation, but it's a refreshing change from the doom and
> gloom, gnashing of teeth, wringing of hands, blood on the walls, cats
> and dogs living together, of the hell freezes over thread.

I hope you are right. I think writing software for the same chip and
porting it for Linux and OS X
and Windows makes things easier, not worse.

The only problem I see is that it will take time to move over and
people will have to spend money
and energy buying and installing new software onto new machines.

It's a bit like the OS 9 to OS X transition, isn't it?

And of course people might stop buying Mac hardware in the meantime,
which poses a bit of
a problem for Apple. But hey, they're primarily a jukebox-walkman
company and not a computer one.

> No flames please, this is N. America and freedom of thought is the
> last thing they can take from you.

I take that to be an ironical statement, no?

: )

thor