[Ti] Days of Future Passed? Don't think so...

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Mon Jun 6 13:57:06 PDT 2005

Well said.  Thank you for articulating this so well.

When Apple moved to IBM from Motorola, I was very happy because
Motorola wasn't able (or willing) to commit the resources to give Apple
what it needed to compete.  I had high hopes for the Apple/IBM
alliance.  The G5 is a brilliant technology that should have performed
better.  Now we see that IBM had other priorities, too.  Being a closet
conspiracy theorist, I have to wonder if Microsoft chose IBM to supply
processors for its next X-Box not only because it had a good processor,
but also to mess with Apple.  Still in all, I love the two G5 2.5 GHz
DP Macs that I use at work.  I also love the iMac G5 2.0 GHz 20" that I
just bought for home.  Even with today's announcement, I have no
regrets for investing in them and I expect to continue to use them for
many years.  They still work just as well as they did yesterday, before
the Intel switch was announced.  That announcement doesn't change
anything about the Mac experience.  They are great computers with an
incredible operating system that perform well and consistently deliver
in extreme computing environments -- 3D modeling/animation, video
editing, hi-res photo manipulation, color management, etc.

I admit to struggling with the idea of Apple collaborating with the
"enemy."  It will take a little time to get past this.  I know that
Intel is not the same as Microsoft, but they tended to be grouped
together.  I agree with those who think this is a good move, but I
still feel a loss that Apple will not be using RISC processors.  Maybe
the distinction between RISC and CISC is not as well defined or
relevant any longer, I don't know.  I'm not a hardware guy as much as a
graphic designer who enjoys the superiority of my tools.  Still RISC
processors is part of what made Macs special compared to the mediocre
stuff generically known as PCs or Wintel boxes.

When this news hits the media, there will be a lot of misinformation.
I'm waiting for the first person to ask me about running MacOS X on
their homebuilt PC.  I hope that will never happen.  I don't want the
MacOS to try to be all things to all computer hardware.  That's what
sucks about Windows.  Let's hope Apple keeps the Mac a Lexus compared
to all the PC Chevys out there.

Ronald Woodland -- St. George, Utah  84770
This email is a natural human product.  Slight variations
in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character
and beauty and should in no way be considered flaws
or defects.